Graefe’s statue, shown on the left, is located close to the Charité hospital in Berlin. He holds in his right hand the instrument that transformed ophthalmology and made his career – Helmholtz’s ophthalmoscope. Graefe eagerly adopted it and encouraged its use amongst colleagues throughout Europe. It provided assistance in founding the Archiv für Ophthalmologie in 1855, together with Donders and Ferdinand Arlt (1812-1887); the title page of the second issue is also shown. On the right, his profile portrait is partially hidden in a schematic eye.